Confession of an Ukay Ukay Addict: I Can't Resist Shopping

 I have to resist, but I can not help myself from buying all those shining items filled with glaring gllitters.

The sound of shoppers hardly haggling appeal to me like an orchestra, the smell of chemical additives are as fragrant as poignant roses, and the cluttered ukay ukay store seems like a palace in my perspective. Ukay ukay stores are really unruly, they have this environment that are not fit for people who seek comfort, they are for people who dare to go to the wild. I am one of those people, those people who are ready to be eaten alive just to get something, those people who boldly face challenges in their lives. I am an ukay ukay addict and nothing, I reiterate, nothing could ever stop me from being one, not even my trivial allowance.

Everytime I am on an ukay ukay store, I cannot help myself but pick any random item and reach out for my wallet. My conscience never shows up whenever I am inside the ukay ukay store, I just shop like there is no tomorrow and like I never have to live with a very small allowance. There was one time when I entered an ukay ukay store with PhP 500 at hand, and when I stepped out of the store, I took a peek at my wallet and realized that I am left only with a fifty peso bill. The five hundred pesos was supposed to be my allowance for the whole week, but it turned out that I only have to survive the whole week with fifty pesos.

Ukay ukay stores just make me go gaga. It's like taking me to somewhere I have never been before, and that place is utopia where strawberry fields blossom, where chocolates grow anywhere. Whenever I enter an ukay ukay store, I start to forget all my troubles and all my cares, all I worry about is how to make a great deal and how to choose wisely. I forget my life in the outside world and live the life inside the ukay ukay store. I feel like I have been trapped inside a space where time freezes and happiness exist.

Ukay ukay shopping is my hobby. I never get pass through a week witout passing by an ukay ukay store amidst my busy college schedule. I always find time to unwind, release myself from all the stresses and escape from the hectic world of a college student. Ukay ukay shopping means everything to me since this is the only time when I am just me without anyone dictating me what to do and without anyone pressuring me for the things that I should not do.

I cannot help myself but shop in an ukay ukay store, even though I have nothing left in my pocket. I just wanted to be there all the time, to pick the items of my choice and to be just me. Maybe the reason why I am a shopping addict is that I want to go to that world where no one is dictating me what to do, where no one can exert their authority over me, where I can experience the real feeling of absolute freedom. Psychologically I have felt that ukay ukay shopping relieve my stresses, but I can never replace the comfort my family gives whenever I feel stressed. But the thing here is that I am away from my family right now, maybe that is why ukay ukay shopping makes me feel relaxed as of this point.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment