Confession of an Ukay-Ukay Addict: My Ultimate Item

I can get pass through all items on the ukay-ukay store but definitely not the shoes.

Ukay-ukay shoes are my ultimate items; they are the ones I look for first whenever I enter the ukay-ukay store. I have a knack of heading first to the rack full of shoes rather than heading first to the new arrivals section, which people normally do. I do not know why, but I really get so attached to ukay-ukay shoes. They’re just so unique in terms of their appearance, design and quality.

Shoes found in ukay-ukay stores cannot be found on any mall chains or department stores here in the country. They are one of a kind not only because they are made abroad, but also are designed to fit for their weather and for their topographical situation. That is why when winter is ending, ukay-ukay stores will start to display boots and knee high fur toe warmers on the new arrivals section. These items are rare to countries like the Philippines and are certainly a hit for them because it is unique and it catches the attention of others.

I own a one of a kind ukay-ukay pair of shoes which I really treasure the most. It is a three-inch semi boot heel with the characteristics of a rubber shoes. It is a hybrid type of shoes which I have not seen in any department store or mall chains that I have been through all my life. That is what I like most about ukay-ukay shoes; you are the only one who owns them since the item is a rarity. I simply do not have to think much and exert much effort to be unique, I just have to purchase one at the nearest ukay-ukay store and flaunt them with pride.

Ukay-ukay shoes also have drawbacks. One is that their quality is not as good as other ukay-ukay items since they are the ones who are used the most. Shoes in the ukay-ukay store arrive damaged already and are just put together with rugby or mighty bond, which make the quality poor. Most of them already have damage to their leathers and heels especially the ones with the good design because they are used much by their previous owner due to their appealing exterior. Second is that they can be a source of foot diseases such as foot odor, athlete’s foot, etc.  And third, ukay-ukay shoes are never fit for a Filipino’s foot since sizes are in US metric system, thus making it uncomfortable to use.

Shoes are important for us for without them, we might not be able to go to places we dream to be. Value your shoes as you value your life.


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment